Well, I root for San Diego sports teams and anyone who follows enough sports knows, there is a San Diego Sports Curse. The City of San Diego aka America’s Finest City has never won and major league sports championship. Ever. EVER. Padres, Chargers, WAKE UP.
Still loyal though
Some things that happened to the Padres organization this season:
- New manager: Andy Green
- 87th All Star Game was held at Petco Park!
- San Diego Padres finished the season at the bottom of the National League with a 68-94 record. BOO.
- AAA El Paso Chihuahuas finished as Pacific Coast League (PCL) champs so at least the farm system isn’t too bad.
- GM AJ Preller suspended by MLB.
- Some PCL players were called up for the last few games and immediately made an impact. These guys were: INF Carlos Asuaje, C Austin Hedges, OF Manuel Margot, and OF Hunter Renfroe.
- Dick Enberg has retired. “Touch ’em all” (for home runs) and “Oh, my!” (for particularly exciting and outstanding athletic plays).
Some happenings around the league:
- Ken Griffey Jr and Mike Piazza are elected to the Hall of Fame. The highest (1st overall) and lowest (1390th overall) drafted players respectively to ever be elected.
- David Ortiz aka Big Papi of the Boston Red Sox is retiring.
- Vin Scully, long time play-by-play announcer for the Los Angeles Dodgers has retired and won’t call any postseason games. “It’s time for Dodger baseball! Hi, everybody, and a very pleasant good (afternoon/evening) to you, wherever you may be.”
- José Fernández of the Miami Marlins tragically passed away in a boating accident.
A rough postseason schedule:
American League (AL) Wild Card: Baltimore Orioles vs Toronto Blue Jays (Blue Jays won)
American League Division Series (ALDS) 1: Boston Red Sox vs Cleveland Indians
ALDS 2: AL Wild Card (Toronto Blue Jays) vs Texas Rangers
American League Championship Series (ALCS): Winner of ALDS 1 vs Winner of ALDS 2
National League (NL) Wild Card: San Francisco Giants vs New York Mets (Giants won)
National League Division Series (NLDS) 1: Los Angeles Dodgers vs Washington Nationals
NLDS 2: NL Wild Card (San Francisco Giants) vs Chicago Cubs
National League Championship Series (NLCS): Winner of NLDS 1 vs Winner of NLDS 2
Finally, World Series: NLCS vs ALCS
It’s an even year so I’m expecting the SF Giants to pull something off somehow. At this point, I don’t need to stress about who wins! As long as it’s not the Dodgers 😮